Physically Based Ray Tracing on the GPU ¶
In recent years hardware support for ray tracing in GPUs has become popular to achieve high fidelity effects in modern computer games. The aim of this thesis is to investigate the hardware support for ray tracing in GPUs for its applicability in physically based rendering. The student should perform the following tasks:
- Get accustomed with the topic of physically-based rendering using the PBRT Book.
- Get accustomed with GPU programming.
- Do a review of hardware support for ray tracing in GPUs.
- Do a short review of the use of hardware ray-tracing in computer games.
- Do an in-depth investigation of the potential use of hardware ray tracing for real-time physically based rendering.
- Implement a small demo of simple physically based real-time ray tracing on the GPU.
- Knowledge of C programming
- Knowledge of Linear Algebra (Matrices, Vectors,…)
- High discipline and autonomy due to highly challenging topic.